Sunday, April 10, 2011

Thriving on Neglect

So I didn't get out to the yard much this weekend. The poor weather Friday and Saturday (combined with working) meant I got into some indoor projects. While it was warmer today, the forecasted sun never materialized to beckon me outside. I managed to drag myself out there this afternoon to take a look around. Guess what? Spring is springing even without my help.

Here's my garage garden, in various shades of purple

There's moss phlox, anemone, muscari, creeping phlox, violets, and a very early geranium bloom.
Here's a closer look at that far end:


A few struggling tulips in the side garden


A few tulips and moss phlox, with some leftover crocus, on the patio terrace.


Blueberries!

This one could be problematic - the other blueberries haven't opened their buds yet, so I don't know if this plant will get pollinated.

I haven't even started the spring cleanup in the right terrace bed (I always seem to leave one part of a chore undone), but the Iberis (candytuft), Euphorbia myrsinites, and moss phlox are putting on their spring show anyway.

Yes, my garden thrives on neglect!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice to have a garden that can just do its thing at times?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weeds thrive on neglect. And I just absolutely don' have time to deal with them. I think I'm going to have to hire someone. Grump. My lamb's ear that you gave me last year are looking good. Am I supposed to clear them out/prune them at all? there is some other plant you gave me, can't for the life of me think of the name, but it's growing back nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merf - Just pull the dead parts out of the lamb's ear to clean it up, but it doesn't really need any more attention. I don't remember what else I gave you, maybe columbine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. GONSS - yes, it is nice! I'm working toward more self-sustainability - my biggest barrier to that is all the ivy that needs so much pruning!

    ReplyDelete