Friday, April 29, 2011

Iris and Mulching

More iris are blooming in the side garden:

On the left, some solid lavender.

On the right, another white iris. This one is Snowbrook, and has bright orange beards.

It was a passalong plant I got two years ago, but it didn't bloom last year. I think I'm obsessed with white iris this year. I like this even better than the white/yellow iris from last week.

Finally, the most unique iris in my collection (I think). Lavender petals, golden beards, and zebra-striped falls that transition to a majestic purple.

When I'm not out admiring iris, I've been mulching. I've done eight cart-loads so far (2 Wed, 2 Thurs, 4 today), but it is slow going. Every year it seems to become a more difficult chore. Part of the "problem" is that my gardens are finally filling in. In the past I could run the cart right into the garden, dump out the mulch, then spread it around. Now, there's no open space to do that. So I'm doing bucketfulls or handfulls at a time.


Above is an example. What used to be an open space in the daylily bed has been well-colonized by mistflower (Eupatorium coelestinum). I'm very happy about that, but how do I mulch it?

2 comments:

  1. they are all just so beautiful! I like the purple one best! I am your newest follower!!! sorry it took so long for me to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Tootsie! Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete