Monday, March 26, 2012

Bedding Down

We've a predicted low temperature of 28 degrees tonight.  While I wasn't so ahead of the calendar as to plant out anything tender yet, some of my plants have jumped the gun a bit.  When I heard the forecast, I didn't pay much mind to it, other than to think, "Brr!" since I have pretty hardy plants in my yard.  But then a Md Extension post caught my eye:  blueberries!  Yes, mine are already in flower, and apparently they don't like to be cold.  So instead of packing myself off to bed, I took some bedsheets outside and tucked in those blueberries.

It's been extremely windy today, so I anchored this sheet covering my lowbush berries with a few bricks I had lying around.  I didn't have anything to use to pin the sheet wrapping my highbush varieties, so we'll see how well my hurried (it's cold out there, folks!) fold-and-tuck holds up.

And those strawberries already in flower?  They didn't get a sheet.  We'll just see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I hope they made it. It is crazy how much stuff is ahead of schedule this year.

    ReplyDelete