Saturday, May 29, 2010

Black and White

Two plants I put in last year are blooming for the first time this week.

I bought this Echinacea 'Finale White' last year. The plant was big enough to divide, so I sent some to Denise in a plant swap. Her half bloomed last year, but mine did not. Now I finally know what it looks like!





In return, Denise gave me some black hollyhocks. My red hollyhocks from previous seasons did not return or self-seed last year, so I was without their beautiful papery flowers last year. I've been eagerly awaiting the flowers on these new ones, because I've never had a black flower. I love it!





And yes, the black and white are right next to each other in the same bed. I didn't plan it that way, but now I may have to rethink what else is in that bed, and make my first color-themed garden. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your black hollyhock is amazing! I've never seen anything like it. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rebecca! I'd never seen a black hollyhock myself. By Tuesday morning there were four flowers open. By Tuesday evening the whole flower stalk was broken off and laying on the ground, thanks to a violent afternoon T-storm. I was so mad! Fortunately there are two plants, and I'm hoping the other is also black.

    ReplyDelete