Saturday, May 19, 2012

MAG Swap Results


Today was the annual Mid-Atlantic Gardeners' Spring Plant Swap.  A mix of pre-arranged trades and free-for-all take what you want, it is always a fun time in a beautiful setting (the private garden o f one of the members).  This is my fourth year attending.  Each year I have more plants to bring and make more trades in advance (I've found that to be really the only way to get some of the plants I want).

Here's what I contributed this year:


Tatarian aster
willow-leaf Helianthus
rosemary
huckleberry seedlings
spanish bluebells
Gaillardia
rue
Centaurea (bachelor's button)
Lychnis coronaria (rose campion)
white rose
 Mexican feather grass
Solidago 'Fireworks' goldenrod
Sedum ternatum
Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly weed)
Echinacea pupurea (purple coneflower)
Penstemon digitalis
variegated tall sedum
Eupatorium coelestinum (mistflower)
Assorted tomatoes (Sweet 100, Black Cherry, Maremmano, Early Kus Ali, Black from Tula, Brandywine)

This was my first year bringing some of the plants.  It's always interesting to see what is in the highest demand.  This year it seemed to be Gaillardia, Mexican feather grass, and rue.  All reseed well for me, so I should be able to bring more next year.  Of course, eventually everyone will have them, and no one will want them anymore.  That has happened with the Helianthus and mistflower.  Good thing there are new people attending every year!

As a bonus, I got to spend the day with two of my cousins, Sue and Sandra.  I pretty much only ever see them at this event.

Here's what I brought home:


(I'm so happy it is a smaller pile than what I brought this morning - the car was really full on the way there!)

Asarum – wild ginger
Japanese anemone
Anemone sylvestris
Elephant ear bulb
Datura
Epimedium
Brunnera
Iris – purple/yellow and dark purple
Oriental lily- orange
Oriental or trumpet lily – tall unknown color
Unknown daylily
Creeping thyme
Sungold tomato
Gypsy sweet pepper
Dwarf fountain grass
Hardy geranium
Painter’s palette
Hardy begonia
Chelone 'Hot Lips'
Parsley
Basil
Bleeding heart
Hay-scented fern
Celandine poppy
Jade plant*
African violet*
     *Houseplants?  What was I thinking?

(OK, it is a longer list than above, but it is mostly only *one* of each plant, rather than many)

Now, where (and when) am I going to plant all this?

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of plants both ways!

    So glad you got identification for all of them. That really helps when you get home.

    Happy planting!

    ReplyDelete