Friday, October 15, 2010

October Blooms

I haven't spent any time in the garden in nearly two weeks. So much else going on in my life of late. If it weren't for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day I probably wouldn't have made it out there today, either. Tomorrow, dear garden, I promise we'll spend some time together. Meanwhile, thanks, Carol of May Dreams Gardens, for the inspiration to get out there today.

Meanwhile, here's what's blooming, without any help from me:

Along the driveway are the mums my mother accidentally gave me. They were so much bigger last year. I have no idea what happened this year, but at least they are still alive and flowering. These are my favorite mums, white with a yellow center:



My only other mums are ones that came with the house, in the garage garden. When they bloom in late summer, they are pale and washed out. Not pretty at all. But the fall version is surprisingly striking, with varying degrees of color:


Also in the garage garden, my burgundy gaillardia have put out a new flush of blooms:


And behind the mums, some garden phlox think it is still summer:


Heading to the terraces, my lone dahlia has survived all sorts of abuse this year, including hungry critters and fallen limbs, but it keeps on blooming:


In the upper garden, Solidago 'fireworks' fills the back corner:


And my wintersown black eyed susans brighten the shady middle:

The ones I planted in the full-sun front are long done.

Along the side garden, Sedum 'Autumn Joy' has gone through it's full range of color, now a deep brownish pink:



Also of note, two edibles:

I picked and ate my second blackberry today:


Yum! There are more coming along, but I don't know if they will have time to ripen:


And in the upper garden, I let some passionvine do its thing this year. One fruit is ripening. I've never actually eaten one. Usually I rip out the vines because they are so weedy. I wonder what I can do with a single passionfruit.


I hope it's good. I know next year I'll regret having let this vine spread its roots this year.

4 comments:

  1. The sedum is gorgeous. I'm jealous of your passionfruit, I planted one in the spring, but I didn't get any fruit this year. Hopefully it will survive the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HGG - the passionvine usually takes a year to get established before it fruits. Don't worry about it overwintering. It will die off, but send up new shoots in the spring from the roots it established this year. I hope you have it contained - I was pulling up roots yesterday that had spread 8 feet in one season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...I love the pairing of the sedum with the (I'm assuming) lambs' ears...breathtaking...I may have to steal it for my own garden ;-)

    ReplyDelete